.

Friday, July 2, 2010

The Good Doctor

I just had what can only be described as a wonderful experience. About an hour ago, I had my wisdom tooth pulled. I'll pause here for effect... Yes - I had a beautiful time at my extraction! All week I'd been apprehensive, having nightmarish visions of the doctor standing on the armrests of the chair, yanking and being unable to dislodge the tooth, but like I do in all stressful situations, I started my abdominal breathing exercises as soon as I sat in the chair and tried to visualize a good outcome.

As I sat breathing from my belly, in walked Dr Moore. Doctor Marlon Moore. A tall, beautiful black man whose first words to me as he looked at my chart were: "Wow! We were born on the exact same day!" Same day, same year. He was pleasant, gentle, positive and bright and talked me through the whole process, being very patient and not at all condescending. He got my icky wisdom tooth out literally before I knew it.

What was very remarkable about him was his touch. I've been to periodontists, endodontists, regular GP dentists and cosmetic dentists and their "hand manners" were all very clinical and sometimes even downright hostile. My periodontist treated my face as an obstacle to his work - that's the only way I can put it. But Dr. Moore was so very caring in his touch, I couldn't believe it. After he was done, I gave him a crooked smile while biting down on gauze, shook his hand and thanked him as profusely as I could with jaw full of novocaine.

It was by far the most pleasant experience I've ever had in a dentist's chair. In fact as I left the office I was raving to Dexter (my husband) that I was in love with my dentist (actually, he's an oral/maxillofacial surgeon).I told him how sexy and handsome he was- and how could he not be, being born on the same day as me. He was also married - the lucky girl! So, I've got the ice pack wedged between my jaw and my shoulder as I type, but otherwise I'm great. Thank you, Dr. Moore!

No comments:

Post a Comment