.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Spirit of the Evening

Pony Boy
Pony Boy with Mom

 This past weekend I attended my second pow-wow for the year. This one was the Redhawk Native American Council at FDR State Park. There were several things on my calendar for that day (Sunday) but I thought I'd go up there since I didn't get deep enough into the last one. I got a great seat and just settled into it.

The first delight was the sight of my favorite little dancer from the Bear Mountain Pow Wow.
I'd dubbed him (to myself) 'Pony Boy' because of the horse image on a piece of his regalia.
Looks like he was there with his mom and he looked even younger than I remembered him.


The spirit of this evening was phenomenal, I think it was my best pow wow experience ever, and although I didn't get to see Pony Boy dance, what I did see didn't disappoint. There was a lot of wonderful dancing - about 150 frames worth - yet these quiet moments were the ones that stayed with me: Pony Boy - of course; the pensive, almost tender teens; the passionate, soulful youth, and the striking man with the black and white painted face. Intense, intelligent and electric.










No comments:

Post a Comment