.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

My Son's Diction Lines

Bridging the Great Divide

Inanities

Noob - Slang for the slang newbie, meaning: clueless.
(Further slangified to Nub, just to keep me qualifying.)


Try-harding - video-game speak for trying hard. Putting one's heart and soul into something. Usually intoned with awe, as when someone is holed up in a building lobby, ambushed by enemy forces and he's giving them all he's got. Superseded in nobility only by...


Martyrdom - video-game speak for running out of the building lobby into the enemy ambush, and letting them give you all they've got...so your friends can escape.

Fail! - Exclaimed in response to an unsuccessful attempt of any kind. Used to express frustration or glee, depending on the situation. 

I'm bored! - This can happen without warning at any time.There's no explaining it.


Profanities
 
"My G*d, I'm Lagging!" - Son is experiencing slow Internet connection due to mother's blogging or father's Internet bill-paying. Parents are encouraged to wrap up their activities promptly and clear the lanes of the superhighway. 

"My teacher is so sexist!"... "The girls get to do whatever they want!"
- Son says the word 'sexist' and pauses to take my temperature. Delivers the next sentence, if necessary - so he can turn this into a vocabulary lesson.

Tight mad - Pissed off


Banalities 

Mad hot - Cool. 
However, when I say it, I get the look. 
Apparently, this expression has been passé since the release of the documentary 'Mad Hot Ballroom'.


Subtleties

GOML - Get on my level.  
This acronym is usually transmitted to an outmatched opponent during a video game, and means simply - you're a loser.


Peculiarities 

No-No Square - Off-limits area of one's anatomy.
(Sometimes delivered with a gesture delineating said territory.)




Profundities:

"When you have correction tape, you make more mistakes."



1 comment: