.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Coming Around

Moon flower
 When I last wrote about fences, I was bemoaning the fact that 'shared things' aren't always able to be truly shared... that they cannot be all things to all people at all times. I suppose nothing can.

I was frustrated about my neighbor's low tolerance for my beloved potato vine - which is a vigorous climber, twirler and overall hanger-on to anything offering the slightest invitation to its tendrils.

I am vigilant now about the potato vine, keeping the fence clear of it. Besides, it's a little difficult to truly enjoy something when that enjoyment contributes to another person's discomfort. I tried transplanting it, but it did not catch on in the new location. I did however, germinate some moon flower seeds. Moon flower is another climbing vine which yields huge white trumpet flowers six inches across - and these I have planted at another location away from any fence, training it instead onto the railing of the stairs which lead from my back patio down to the backyard. This whole exercise was very satisfying.

Cucumber
I tried my hand at cucumbers this summer- which was a rousing success. Interestingly enough, I used the same problematic fence to train the cucumber vine with nary a peep from my neighbor on the left. I also added basil to the mix, (ridiculously easy to grow) and thyme (which I found to be bit shy). Next year I plan to expand the vegetable garden, adding lettuce; and I also want to grow more herbs - as much for their fantastic aroma as for seasoning and garnishing. I do owe my neighbor on the right a shout-out for pushing me to grow more food rather than just ornamental plants. In the garden, almost everything is a hot mess right now: the hydrangeas are burnt to a crisp, hosta leaves are fried, and the ferns are curling. Mindful of the use of water, I've put the tomatoes, cucumbers and basil at the top of the thirst triage. I have also been giving preference to the moon flower (another heavy drinker) just because I wanted to see it perform - which it did.

                                                                                  
Adding to my joy this summer was the resurrection of a spider orchid which I rescued from my office.
When I took it home, I didn't have much hope for it, but after a few weeks in a shady spot it has three new shoots and I am hoping for a flower bract before the summer is out.

Spider orchid


Basil


 

No comments:

Post a Comment