.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

In The Neighborhood

Seashell Villa, Tobago
I spent most of July away from New York. Two trips to Trinidad, one sailing to Tobago and a zip down to Arkansas. Six flights, two ferry rides.
I went back to Trinidad for my thirtieth high school reunion (the number is marginally less jolting if I spell it out) and met up with about 50 of my previous classmates. To put this in perspective, the actual Holy Name Convent Class of 1981 comprised 120 girls, give or take.
The first couple of days were spent with my cousin and our three children in Tobago at Seashell Villa. We returned to Trinidad in a squall, which gave the entry into Port of Spain a special kind of charm. As it cleared, the mountains were shrouded in low hanging clouds, the sky was grey and the island - deeply green.

The reunion events were spread out over four days - comprising a beach 'lime' or hangout, an evening at a nightclub, a church service and a brunch. Quite a few teachers showed up to the church service including our long-retired school principal Sister Bernadette, who is now in her nineties, and the vice principal Sister Helen. We sang the school song, our graduation song (composed by one of our classmates) as well as some of the songs we used to sing (or lip sync) regularly at morning assembly. The service was held at 6pm - the school chapel suffused with the soft light of sunset, the sky streaked pink and orange.  For me, it was a beautiful, restful hour - and having my son with me made it especially meaningful. It is true that these girls, (now women) even the ones I hardly spoke to - gave me a gift: being part of the landscape of my life.

 in Tobago
 A few people remarked that I was 'much quieter than they remembered'. I found that really interesting as one of my agendas for the trip was to be more sociable and a little more outgoing.
I'd say I was pretty quiet at school, not a part of any one group, a drifter in terms of my connections with others, but very capable of clowning around if the mood took me.

At Fort George, Port of Spain
I took up yoga shortly after our last reunion about 10 years ago, and maybe that accounts for part of the change, but I have always been an observer, and seem to have become even more so. The next reunion ( a cruise) is tentatively scheduled for 2014, when we will all be fifty, or in the neighborhood.
Holy Name Convent, Class of '81, in 2011

Center back row - yours truly.


No comments:

Post a Comment