.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Managing Mayhem


One of Allstate's insurance commercials features the character Mayhem. Mayhem is an impish creature who wreaks Havoc, which happens somewhere on the fuzzy border of Malicious and Accidental. The premise of the ad is that Allstate can protect you, if not from Mayhem, at least from loss or deprivation resulting from its activity - wouldn't that be nice?

My husband does not believe in insurance and buys the minimum necessary to be legally compliant. I have always believed in insurance because loss has never been my strong suit. He rarely regrets, and moves on quickly.  Whereas I, ...you get the picture.

Tough stuff happens in life, much of it unpredictable, and irreversible. Death of course, is right up there, the example par excellence. But there are plenty of other instances where things go awry. Plenty.

I've heard Eckhart Tolle say that things are the way they are because they could not be otherwise. To really accept that, and be at peace with all of its ramifications --well I'm no Eckhart Tolle. When I try to imagine living in this way, I visualize walking through the rain with an umbrella up and an inscrutable Zen-like smile on my face. Maybe I could manage in a drizzle.



Photo: Chen Li (Winner, Travel open competition, Sony World Photo Awards 2014)


1 comment:

  1. Managing mayhem.... Hmmm.... Isn't that coupling an oxymoron? :-)

    ReplyDelete