.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Whoah boy!

Paul Revere
I had not been looking forward to my birthday this year and had spent the previous few weeks rehearsing the new number, trying it on for size, doubling it to see what number it was half of, and generally marveling at how quickly the previous year had passed.
I spent my birthday in Boston with my mother, two brothers, my husband and son. My son was going to be without his PlayStation for 72 hours and I was going to age, so to fortify ourselves we planned to attend Sunday mass at St John the Evangelist Church in Cambridge.

As we stood on the sidewalk after the service, I made some glum comment about my age. My husband piped up: "What's the hurry?" Apparently, I had so conditioned myself to the new number that by the time my birthday hit, I automatically added one more year.  I didn't know whether to be relieved that I hadn't 'aged', or to become concerned that I was able to dupe myself so well. But we all did the appropriate thing - which was to laugh.

My brother, the former Bostonian
Mother, brothers, son - Boston.
After church we took a walk along the Freedom Trail in historic North Boston. We started at the building ( now a pub) where John Hancock and Samuel Adams plotted the revolution. We then moved on to the spot where Crispus Attucks, former slave, became the first casualty of the Boston massacre marking the beginning of the Revolutionary War. We followed the trail all the way through the Italian quarter to the Old North Church where Paul Revere had instructed that a lantern be held up in the church belfry: one if the British were coming by land, and two if by sea (the Charles River).

We spent two nights in a hotel on the Cambridge bank of the Charles and watched the four-man sculls going upriver on the cold mornings in preparation for the Head of the Charles Regatta. On the third evening we made the drive back into New York City. I was one year older, and my son was conversing again. It was (at least) a two lantern moment.

Husband and son
Birthplace of the Revolution


Photos: Boston, October 15-17, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment