.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Showtime!

Here we are again, another new year, and I am getting ready to run my annual movie marathon.In the meantime, I discovered two BBC Masterpiece Series ( Downton Abbey and Sherlock) which have helped make my 90 minute commute (each way) more bearable.

As usual, the awards movie 'short list' is pretty long - twenty-six at last count - many of which I will not see, however it is with a sense of relish that I read the list and the synopses, trying to figure out which ones to watch - the way one surveys a banquet table and selects something to eat.

Already there are some that I intend to pass on - Zero Dark Thirty and Django Unchained (too violent), Flight (I'm no expert, but I find Denzel Washington's acting range to be a bit narrow - exception:Training Day), and Hope Springs (again I'm no expert, and though she is probably deserving of high acclaim, I find that Meryl Streep's portrayals are quite similar.)

So (in alphabetical order) here's the list:

Amour
Anna Karenina
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Django Unchained
Flight
Hitchcock
Hope Springs
Hyde Park on Hudson
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Moonrise Kingdom
Promised Land
Rust and Bone
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
Silver Linings Playbook
Skyfall
The Deep Blue Sea
The Hobbit
The Impossible
The Master
The Paperboy
The Sessions
Zero Dark Thirty

(Here's) to the movies, and... To The Movies!


No comments:

Post a Comment